[TRLog] TR & IOTA scoring

Subject: [TRLog] TR & IOTA scoring
From: dave_hoaglin@abtassoc.com (dave_hoaglin@abtassoc.com)
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 98 12:22:38 est
Mark,

I believe the committee responsible for the IOTA Contest has issued
specific instructions on how some of the QSOs are to be scored.  Alas,
I don't have my file on the contest here.

I feel the rule, as you quote it, is not yet written carefully enough
to remove all ambiguity.  It starts with a definite statement, "Each
contact with an IOTA island counts 15 points."  But then it goes on to
say that it doesn't actually mean what it said.  Very confusing.

I think it would help a great deal to have a statement from the
committee that tells how each possible QSO is to be scored.  As I
recall the rules of the contest, there are two types of stations:
a station on an IOTA island (I) and a station not on an IOTA island
(N).  These can combine in a QSO in three ways: II, IN, NN.  Then the
two stations can be in the same country or in different countries.  As
a result, the scoring of a QSO has six cases (some of which may yield
the same point value):

           Same     Different
  II
  IN
  NN

Once we have an official statement of the point value for each cell in
such a table, no ambiguity should remain, and it will be trivial to
get the programming right.

73,

Dave, K1HT    dave_hoaglin@abtassoc.com