Fwd: Re: [TRLog] TR & IOTA scoring

Subject: Fwd: Re: [TRLog] TR & IOTA scoring
From: MM@plextek.co.uk (Mark Marsden)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:43:03 +0100
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 21:41:24 +0100
From: Chris Burbanks  <g3sjj@btinternet.com>
To: dave_hoaglin@abtassoc.com,trlog@contesting.com, MM@plextek.co.uk
Cc: caa@caa.compulink.co.uk,btinternet.com#c#Nick#c#T@plextek.co.uk,
        CRS@plextek.co.uk, MCW@plextek.co.uk, TDH@plextek.co.uk,
        simon.ruffle@riskinc.com, forbes@trilong.demon.co.uk,
        andy.summers@ttpcom.com, jan.fisher@virgin.net
Subject: Re: [TRLog] TR & IOTA scoring

Hi, guys. Well, we did try to simplify the scoring and also the wording.
Maybe you can't do both! Must bear in mind lots of non-English
speaking countries publicise the rules so the fewer words the better.

We also want to discourage Non-Island to Non-Island Qs, but feel
that taking these out in one swoop would alter the character of the
event too much!

We only envisage three states :

1 - any QSO with an Island reference, 15 points

2 - a QSO with an island reference where country and reference is
the same, 3 points.

3 - Non-Island to Non Island, 3 points.

We had a lot of criticism of the state where for example, Isle of Wight
in the UK (EU120) counted only as two points, being in the same country.
We wanted to address this aspect.

Now, Gxxxxx EU120 can work Gyyyyy EU005 for 15 points. The down side
of this is that there is not as much potential activity in the UK as in
say JA or
States. I hope we are nearer the point now, but I remember writing
advertising
copy a few years ago, and a saying comes to mind "It is hard to write
the copy
(rules), but easy to criticise".

I want this contest to grow as it is doing at the rate of 15-20% a year.
We expect
to break the 1000 entries this year. I am happy to take all comments and
will
consider them seriously. The only point I would make is that we don't
want to
keep tweaking the rules, at some stage it must settle down so we all
know where
we are.

As well as chairing the RSGB HF Contests Committee and being the IOTA
Contest
co-ordinator I am an avid supporter of the contest, GU6D, GU7D and GU8D.
Roll on next year!!   73 Chris G3SJJ