[TRLog] S&P to CQ switching

Subject: [TRLog] S&P to CQ switching
From: w7zrc@micron.net (Rod Greene)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 17:49:49 -0700
I admit I have used TR quite a bit, but I still make mistakes when
I forget to switch to S&P from CQ Mode. The easiest way to prevent
this for me is to use the automatic feature which switches you to
S&P when the VFO is moved. This requires the rig to be interfaced
to the PC tho.  I definitely don't want the escape key functionality
changed. It works great, it's just the Op (me) that makes the mistake.
The key combination 'ctl-w' is great to wipe out just the field you
are in. That has helped me alot, along with 'ctl-a' that puts the
cursor at the beginning of the field. I like the idea of the edit
down arrow to finish the new entry and escape to simply clear and
put you back to the call window without any changes. However, I
don't seem to make many errors when editing with the confirmation
requirement turned on.

only my 3 cents worth....  Rod

At 08:00 PM 1/11/1999 -0800, David Jones wrote:

>> When I get tired, I can't keep track of how many times I've hit the
>escape
>> key, or I miss when I was aiming at F1, and don't realize it. The real
>> confusion comes when I try to keep on without realizing that the
>modes have
>> changed. There hasn't even one contest gone by that I haven't
>screwed up
>> dozen, half dozen qso's because of it, or lost the call sign because I
>> escaped it out of existence and my memory is (was) on the screen, or
>got
>> myself so confused I lost my run frequency reentering the qso and
>adding to
>> the log with the key unplugged so I wouldn't retransmit the exchange
>etc,
>> etc. Or I send an exchange when I'm trying to send my call sign.
>(This last
>> dozens of times in any contest.)
>
>The one thing that I think many people don't get is the Ctrl+Enter
>function.  This will step through a QSO but WITHOUT sending anything.
>When things go to heck, I switch to the paddles or the keyboard mode,
>and complete the exchange, then use Ctrl+Enter so I can keep going.
>
>The only problem I have with CQ vs S&P is not remembering to switch to
>S&P...and sending the beginnings of a CQ when I want to send my call.
>
>There is already in place a quick way to switch back from S&P to CQ
>modes...Shift+Tab.  And that, to my knowledge, is the only way to
>switch back other than hitting Esc.
>
>Personally, I don't see what the big deal is, but I've played with TR
>quite a bit.  TR is NOT a program you want to use in a major contest
>for the first time by setting it up 10 minutes before the start.  I
>always set up my logcfg.dat a few days in advance and run some test
>QSO's through it.  However, in my opinion TR is the only way to go for
>CW contesting, no doubt about it.
>
>73
>

>==
>David Jones, KK7GW