[TRLog] Two-Computer Log Editing

Subject: [TRLog] Two-Computer Log Editing
From: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (Don Moman)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:10:31 -0700 (MST)
Use different computer ids for each station. Step one and very important.
Step 2 - only assume log data entered on computer A is valid, and the same
for B, C etc.  In post take the log from Computer A and pull out just the
A logs. Do the same for all computers.  Then in POST, merge these logs to
get a complete, accurate log.  THEN I usually take all the notes from the
various sites and make the corrections, although this could be done at any
time really.  It sounds a bit complex but it really isn't bad and once you
get the routine down, it's downright simple.

Your method would work if NOBODY made ANY edits, and the network never
dropped anything (which usually is true) but  it's much easier to make
those last 5 edits whenever you have the time, and put the rest on paper
notes for afterwards.

73 Don
VE6JY

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999 K3SV@aol.com wrote:

> I checked the TR manual (very nice job on the currect edition of the manual)
> but I can't find my answer.
>
> Here's the deal.  In a network mode, I edit one of the 5 most recent QSO's
> and the other computer does not get the edit information.  My assumption is
> that we are passing data for the "current" qso to the other computers and not
> "file updating" for previous entries.
>
> So, at the end of the contest:
>         1.  I go to what I will call LOG "A" and make any edits from the
> other computers' "log.dat" files from notes made at the individual station
> location
>
> Or.... I run some nifty little post contest program that I don't know about??
> The more I think about this option, the more I don't think I want to do that.
>  How would I designate the "log.dat" file that has the "good" information??
>
> Excuse the rambling, but as I was talking out loud I was typing.
>
> 73 de Bill   K3SV
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/trlogfaq.html
> Submissions:              trlog@contesting.com