[TRLog] LONG -- Reflections on first real use of TR LOG,and a few gripes

Subject: [TRLog] LONG -- Reflections on first real use of TR LOG,and a few gripes
From: n0ss@earthlink.net (Tom Hammond NØSS)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:01:17 -0500
Ed:

I can only present here my/our experiences with TRLog in this year's FD
exercise (remember, it's NOT a contest... just ask the ARRL...!).

Although I have had NO PROBLEM reading OR following the TRLog manual, I
must accept your stated problems and dislike of how the manual was not only
written but the format in which it was written.

Two years ago, the fact that the manual was prepared in PDF format would
have turned me off as well... at that time I despised using Acrobat Reader
with a fervent passion. However, now that I've had more cause to use it
(numerous other manuals which I must access on a regular basis are also
prepared using the PDF format), I've found it to be extremely EASY to use
and the facility with which it FINDs desired text (when I'm searching for a
specific word or topic) is difficult (for me) to fault.

I've been using TRLog for about four years now... started out using it at
Field Day, and I was absolutely green (unschooled) at using this particular
software. Prior to that initiation, I had used CT, which I found to be VERY
difficult to use, if for no other reason than the completely NON-intuitive
key sequences required for the most common of tasks, entering the callsign
and then logging the QSO. While it took be about an hour to 'get the feel'
of TRLog the first time I used it (a day for two before FD actually
started), I found to quite easy to use, once I was able to read the 1-line
help line at the bottom of the screen (which IS configurable to reflect any
changes to the default configuration made by the user). I must admit that I
found the old-style manual to be most difficult to read, and even more
difficult to find anything in.

That first year, ALL of us were newbies to using TRLog (well, all BUT the
actual owner of the program). However, with one exception, all of the
newbie operators were well capable of using TRLog for 95% of their contest
activity without having to access the manual or require a significant
amount of 'support' from the owner of the software or myself (as I was the
2nd most familiar with the program, having had it for an extra 2 days
experience).

For each of the past years, AND this yeear as well, we have had many new
users who have, for the most part, set down "cold" in front of the program,
and started using it with few problems of times when their rate was
compromised by having to perform a task not readily obvious. Granted, this
is not the best way to do it, but sometimes it must be done.

I must admit that I don't particularly care for the editing method, when
editing already-logged Q's. I find it to be somewhat
'lefthanded'.  However, we have found that, in cases where a correction
must be made, it's mch easier to just hit <Ctrl-N> and to type a note of
correction into the LOG NOTEPAD, which leaves the note right At the point
in the log where it's been entered, and then come back to the note later on
(usually post-contest) to make the final correction.

Learning the 'fine points' of using/configuring TRLog DOES take a bit of
time, but this is not unlike any well-featured program... if it's
feature-rich, it will take time to learn about and understand all of the
features. But I found that I could learn about the most important features
with only a moderate amount of reading and playing with the configuration.
There are MANY LOGCFG.DAT commands which I'll never use, but which are
there for those who WILL use them... either immediately, or in time.

I'm not going to sway your opinion... you obviously have a somewhat bad
taste in your mouth and find it difficult to spit it out... maybe you'll
find another program you prefer to use, if so, more power to you. That's
the nice thing about having several options, if you don't like one, you can
try the others and see if they're more to your liking.

One final point I must mention... the next time you use a new logging
program, regardless of what it is... don't try to use 'on the job training'
to do it... learn most of the program AT LEAST a week or two BEFORE the
operation begins... if offers a simulator (as does TRLog), USE IT HEAVILY
before the contest, to permit you to do your initial configmration of the
software to your operating style BEFOREHAND, rather than in the hear of
battle where you will always feel pressed to perform, so to speak. And if
possible, get the majority of your operators to try the software trainer
BEFORE the contest begins, so they will have a passing familiarity with its
operation BEFORE they're turned loose on the contest with a new program.
This is no different than being in an office situation, and at the same
time being given a new database program and told to have all last year's
records installed AND reports prepared by the end of the week.

Good luck, and thanks for sharing your thoughts and concerns with us.

73 - Tom Hammod   N0SS