[TRLog] LONG -- Reflections on first real use of TR LOG, and a few gripe

Subject: [TRLog] LONG -- Reflections on first real use of TR LOG, and a few gripes
From: clive_whelan@btinternet.com (Clive Whelan)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:17:13 +0100
Hi Ed

> I consulted another TR
> fan (let's call him "Dai")

You know, I think I may know this Dai bloke. Some say he is a
wise old sage, others that he is an opinionated *&^%$£ !  I
think I may have operated FD with him along the way. Oh, btw
that's the *real* FD not the one you just entered!

Dai is  right, if you can graduate to running pile ups in FD
after being licenced for 3 months, then climbing the TR learning
curve is easy peasy.

I agree with most of what Dai says and PDF is indeed an
abomination, full stop: that's period to you colonials! However
you clearly never saw the manual before it was in the present
form, otherwise you might have a slightly different perspective;
I know Dai does.

You are right about the support here which is second to none,
and even I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of flaming that
you received, considering some of the rubbish that you talked.
Remember *I* knew you in 1964, so I know the rubbish that you
sometimes talk! However most of your criticisms are valid, and
have previously been made here, although not perhaps  with the
elegance with which you endowed them. The English, as Dai and I
know, often talk rubbish, but my god they do it with style!

Yes the manual is not good, but better than it was. Yes the
interface is poor, and yes the screen is a real mess, but yes TR
is far and away the best contest logging programme, warts and
all. Here is the good news, this old fart never used a contest
logging programme until the Autumn ( that's Fall ED,QSL?)of
1998, and having briefly dallied with CT and SD, quickly
graduated to TR. However I did have the advantage of never
having used CT ( et al) to any great extent, and was not
therefore encumbered by the attendant mindset, and promptly set
about the admittedly onerous and arduous task of the ascent of
the TR learning curve. Have I reached the summit yet; no, indeed
I am barely past the base camp, but there is no way that I will
descend to the comfort zone of mediocrity represented by the
Brand Xs of the market.

Ed, don't emulate your football team, and neglect to acquire the
technical skills of the modern contest " game"; need I say CT
and YO in this context? The renowned  persistence, doggedness,
and never say die attitude of the English are no longer
sufficient in the modern world.

If you have doubts, just think about what Henry Ford once said,
"Think you can, think you can't, either  way you'll be right".

73

Clive

GW3NJW