[TRLog] Setting date on computer

Subject: [TRLog] Setting date on computer
From: n0ss@earthlink.net (Tom Hammond NØSS)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 08:10:41 -0600
Rick:

Although I now see that you have found how to reset your clk/cal on your
PC, I'm gonne send this reply anyway, because I think it may help others
who find themselves in the position of having to correct a BUNCH of log
entries in an 'already-made' log.

Assuming you DO leave things as-is, changing the date post-contest is NO
MEAN FEAT at all!

Your log should look something like this: (MULTS & PTS truncated for brevity

2000 ARRL Sweepstakes KC5AJX

  Band    Date    Time  QSO#  Call worked   Rcvd  P Ck  Qth
  ----    ----    ----  ----  -----------   ----  - -- -----
  10CW  07-Nov-80 21:00    1  N0SS             1  Q 58  MO

Since TRLog generates a straight ASCII file (Cabrillo or not), it's a
simple task to merely load the entire log into your wordprocessor (even
into Win9x's WORDPAD) and perform a single SEARCH & REPLACE of "NOV-80"
with "11-00_" (NOTE: In real use, the "_" should be replaced with a BLANK
SPACE which MUST be included to ensure that all data remains in its proper
column since we're replacing 6 characters ( Nov-80 ) with 5 real characters
( 11-00 ), plus a blank at the end. Then, RESAVE the file.

As a final note, I'd urge all contesters to try and find a good ASCII file
editor, either a commercial product (KEDIT (DOS), KEDITW (WIN), several
others), or one of the still-available SHAREWARE DOS ASCII editors such as
QEDIT (now "The SemWare Editor Jr") from
http://vivid.nbank.net/~semware/testdrive/tsejr4.zip.

When I say a 'good' ASCII editor, I'm referring to one which will permit
you to perform COLUMN-WISE edits (e.g. edit the data in a single column (or
multiple contiguous columns) of data (like changing the year in the example
above from "80" to "00"). WHile search-and-replace works well, there are
going to be times when only a column-wise editor will help to solve severe
problems in a log. Such editors are worth their weight in gold.

73 - Tom Hammond   N0SS