[TRLog] CODE SPEED CHANGES

Subject: [TRLog] CODE SPEED CHANGES
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 13:09:45 -0500
At 05:16 PM 1/3/02 +0000, Jean Giesler wrote:

>Mark requested the ability to change computer code speed by one word per
>minute.  I am sorry but I do not see that a change on one WPM would be
>useful.  If it cannot be copied at 35, it cannot be copied at 34 wpm.
>The addition of extra space between characters will do more to affect
>the copybility than an one wpm decrease.
>
>I am a firm believer in the send it once, copy it once method of
>operation. Whatever it takes to accomplish that is what is needed.

I share this view.  I start SS at 32 wpm, step down to 29 as others (and I)
get tired, and find 3 WPM steps enough so that one, or two at most, will
get me where I need to be when someone calls who can't handle my initial
speed.

On Sunday, I'm all over the place -- CQing at 17 WPM in the extra class
portions, at 11 WPM in the slow-speed zones, sending CQs by hand, doing
anything to scare up someone who wouldn't call otherwise.  I usually have 3
different CQs stored, and set them up to be chainable, so that I can
produce a lot of variation.

Re length of CW CQs, one thing I notice is that the "scan speed" of ops
seems to be a bit slower during SS, so you need to "hang your sign out" a
little longer to have the same probability of getting an answer.  The ARRL
10 meter test was somewhere in between, and on CQWW CQs can be very short.

73, Pete N4ZR

The revised World Contest
Station Database
is online at www.pvrc.org