[TRLog] CODE SPEED CHANGES

Subject: [TRLog] CODE SPEED CHANGES
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:59:51 -0600
    This isn't a big deal to me, but it seems that if Tree added a
CW SPEED INCREMENT option and set the default to 3, nobody would have to
change any of their behaviour unless they felt they wanted to.

    As someone whose code speed is still just below 20WPM, I found
myself constantly using Alt-S in the Sweepstakes to change from like 16 to 17
WPM and back.

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 03:41:42PM -0500, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:

> A change of one WPM is like a tenth of a db.
>
> I like to set my speed to 28 to start and tend to return to that from faster
> or slower speeds. But getting set on 28 wpm to start is just one ALT-S at
> the beginning. It's not like TR only sends 25,28,31,34, etc and the other
> values can't be had.
>
> Usually when I need the pgup/pgdn speed change, I need to drop drastically,
> like from 28 down to something like 16, just for one QSO. I would sure
> rather hit pgdn four times instead twelve.  If I'm at 35, I'll hit ALT-S 16
> <enter>. It's faster. I can then hit ALT-S 35, and hit <enter> just as it
> program sends "TU", so the call is back at normal speed.
>
> Also, if I asked you to QRS and you drop 1 WPM, I probably will think you
> ignored me.
>
> In your post you indicated that your preference didn't have anything to do
> with operating techniques. If you're not operating while using TR, what are
> you using it for?
>
> I don't get it at all, Mark. What am I missing?
>
> 73, Guy.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops