[TRLog] Bandmap bugginess in version 6.67

Subject: [TRLog] Bandmap bugginess in version 6.67
From: mikeh@webraska.com (Mike Heideman)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 19:55:33 -0700
We used TR-Log version 6.67 in the CW WPX contest this past
weekend.  As several people have already mentioned to me, I now
know that the CQ MODE command can be given with LASTCQFREQ.  I
think someone told me this before, but I forgot to add it to a
config file at the time and then forgot about it.

Early in the contest I did a scan of 20 meters to fill up the
bandmap while our 20-meter operator CQ'ed.  Things mostly worked
OK.  I was using our only non-interfaced radio (we ran out of
computers with multiple serial ports). After a short while I had
filled up the page and the new spots I was entering were no
longer visible to me.  I like to be able to see the section of
the bandmap for which I'm entering spots so that I can tell if
there are any big frequency gaps where I've missed a station.
Doing Ctrl-End and right-scrolling is not a very convenient way
to do this.

Realizing that our run operator was at the low end of the band
and probably couldn't see the spots I was adding at the top end
of the band, I told him to use the 'd' key to toggle to no-dupe
mode so he could see if there were any new mults among the
unworked stations.  This had the appearance of working, except
the bandmap showed TA0/Z37M as a new mult when it was in fact a
dupe (the release notes suggest that this problem was fixed in
version 6.65).  This callsign may also have come from packet.
>From our operator's complaints at the time I also believe that
using Ctrl-End or NEXTBANDMAP to go to specific stations in the
bandmap was selecting a different station and frequency than was
displayed.  We immediately switched the dupes back on and didn't
observe the problem again.  Maybe this only occurs when the
portable station is entered into the bandmap from a different
computer or packet because TA0/Z37M was correctly shown as a
dupe later when entered from the 20-meter run station.

We tried using both the Ctrl-Delete and Ctrl-Insert features of
the new, improved bandmap but neither did anything.  The latter
was tried both on interfaced and non-interfaced radios.

There was also some flashing at the bottom of the screen.  It
appeared that the band range indicator for the bandmap was being
displayed in the same area as the Multi-info message, so there
would be a brief flash of "DUPES ON  20CW -  20CW", which was
immediately overwritten by the Multi-info message window.  We
had Multi Info Message = $.

We had BANDMAP ALL MODES set to FALSE but a packet spot for some
unusual prefix at 14280 ended up in the bandmap.  Shouldn't the
default range for the CW band filter these out?

Overall the Bandmap is much improved.  It doesn't flash like it
used to when it was too big for the window and long callsigns
don't do strange things anymore.  The previously broken features
also seem close to working.

-Mike, N7MH