[Trlog] Watching an old friend slowly die

Subject: [Trlog] Watching an old friend slowly die
From: n4zr at contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri Feb 21 07:36:16 2003
At 07:41 PM 2/20/03 -0500, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:
>It won't matter how many cute features or configurabilities TRLog has
>(and some of them are my absolute favorites), I will have to abandon
>it because Windows, IP networks, exclusive control, etc, etc, are not
>being dealt with.
>
>I'm not arguing who should do what or why. But the doc is spending his
>time on hair color and skin tone and manicures while the patient is
>dying of congestive heart failure.
>
>I'm losing an old friend. And I don't want to.
>
>Does anybody care?
>
>Should I just give up and move on?

Boy, I thought long and hard about whether to respond to this.  I
understand Guy's frustration.  I've been a TRLog user for 8 years now, and
it still serves me very well.  If I were in a multi-op environment, it
might be a different story.

In the latest ARRL DX CW, I was running SO2R with a bandmap for the S&P
radio, and the need to have the entire screen change to switch from one
radio to another tends to put a limit on how error-free I can be in
operating it.  I'm persuaded that the windows user interface would offer
much greater flexibility, but those of us who have been on the reflector
for a while recall the abortive port-to-Windows exercise of a couple of
years back.  This is the sort of project that will never repay a
programmer's time and effort by any conventional measure, which was the
show-stopper then.  This would have to be a labor of love.  Any
hopelessly-romantic Windows programmers out there?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 1 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm