[Trlog] Watching an old friend slowly die

Subject: [Trlog] Watching an old friend slowly die
From: olinger at bellsouth.net (olinger@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Feb 21 12:58:46 2003
Unnecessarily? Meaning I could have phrased it nicer? Or that it's not going
away for me as I stated it was? I'm not telling you any lies. It's going away
for me, and for others who have posted to me privately (I wish they would post
to the reflector, but that's their choice).

Romantic is a style of writing. Your issue is that I should have used a
different style of writing?

Nothing personal, but time to listen up.

PC manufacturers don't give a d**m about serial ports any more. They cheat on
the implementation and don't do anything to drain the lines from static
buildup, making their little ole CMOS leads more susceptible than ever to
static and stray RF. Nobody is testing com ports any more. No money in it.

99.999% of the people who write drivers aren't writing them for DOS any more.

But it's NOT about >>RECODING<< TRLog in windows.

It's about creating a coccoon in Windows to let TRLog run like it always has.

It's about spending the time to find out why TRLog can't find a working com
port under windows. And devising a workaround. Instead of just blowing it off
because it's a windows thing.

How about:

A Windows utility that masquerades as a com port, but is matched up to a like
device at another computer across the network via TCPIP:

CMASQ 5,1159,my.other.computer:1158

The utility program CMASQ is launched. It will masquerade as com 5 to
applications running on the same box. It will use TCPIP to send it's traffic to
the other computer on the network, my.other.computer, port 1158. It will
receive TCPIP on this computer, port 1159 and present it to whatever's running
on this computer as content coming into com 5.

Changes to TRLog: none. Accomplishes network based daisy chain.

Again, we are NOT talking about recoding TRLog in Windows.

And whatever other ideas? I don't know, but shouldn't the TRLog community start
making some moves? TRLog IS slowly dying.

73, Guy