[Trlog] WinTelNetX, Telnet, and TR

To: "TR Log" <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] WinTelNetX, Telnet, and TR
From: "Scott Johns" <petvet@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:44:07 -0500
Hi all,

I'm having a problem getting WinTelNetX to talk with the telnet cluster
node. Looked at all past messages in the TR archive to no avail.

Surprisingly, especially after this past weekend :-) WinTelNetX says it
is connected just fine between the windows 98 machine it is on and the
dos machine that TR is on. I'm using a db9 (serial) to db25 (parallel)
null cable modem line, which surprised me that it worked (figured I
would need a db9 to db9 but didn't have one in my vast reserve of
computer stuff).

Anyway, back to the Telnet issue: After following W0YK's fine and
entertaining directions I try to connect WinTelNetX to the telnet site
host address (in this case I'm using K4JA's site at at 209.147.70.241)
and I get "error connecting to host address". I tried it with other
sites to no avail. K4JA's site works just fine through my DX4WIN
connection.

The windows machine has a high speed internet connection via an Ethernet
network in my house (via a router, etc). Could the network hardware be
interfering?

Also, I'm guessing that somehow WinTelNetX must figure out for itself to
use the existing TCP/IP internet connection without me telling it to do
so?
Is there somewhere I need to tel WinTelNetX to use my tcp/ip connection?

Here are my settings

Host IP or name:        209.147.70.241
Port:   8000
Name: K4JA
TNC: false
Buffer: 32000
Keep alive time: 0 (zero)
Port data type: Cluster user
My call: INET
Antiloop px: <
Dupes: 0 (zero)
Cr/lf: 2

Under connect script setup:
Prompt: (used the same words that come up when accessing K4JA's request
for my callsign)
Login: W3TX (yes I'm already a user of the telnet site)
Reconnect: enabled
Retry: 60 sec

Any ideas appreciated :-)

73, Scott W3TX

All outgoing e-mails checked by Norton Antivirus