RE: [Trlog] WinTelNetX, Telnet, and TR

To: "TR Log" <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Trlog] WinTelNetX, Telnet, and TR
From: "J. Edward (Ed) Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:56:14 -0800
I was about to post a similar message when this one came through from Scott.
I have the same problem, but it is intermittent.

In my case, the connection works about half the time ... the rest of the
time is behaves as described by Scott.  When it was acting up, I bypassed
WinTelnetX altogether and just did a simple Telnet (using the Telnet window
in Windows 2000) to a few Packet Cluster nodes, but got a similar message
about not being able to connect.  Even that was intermittent, but there was
a correlation between the times when neither connection method would work.
None of the other locals have reported this problem, either with WinTelnetX
or DXTelnet or other schemes.

Another, perhaps coincidental, happening here was that my Windows 2000
laptop kept locking up, sometimes with the dreaded "blue screen" announcing
a hardware failure.  This laptop is connected to the TR-Log computer via the
serial ports and to Ethernet to another computer in the house which in turn
is connected to the Internet.  I've never had these lockups before and have
used this laptop all over the world for 3 years now.  It has both DOS 6.22
and Windows 2000 on it and has never had a hiccup 'till this weekend.

Like Scott, I'm hoping someone can tell us that we have a configuration
setting wrong.  But, I'm baffled as to why a simple Telnet connection to the
clusters also didn't work.

73,
Ed - W0YK