[TenTec] OMNI VI crystal oven stability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI crystal oven stability
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 17:51:13 -0700
> Do you keep the power supply turned on at all times inorder to keep that
> oven warm?

Can't do it, my OMNI is an original production run, the oven wasn't set
up to do that.  I may rewire it after I settle this problem, hi hi.

> How about leaving the power on all night with the radio off and running
> this test again?

I could leave the radio on for a long time and see where it goes.  That is
a good idea, after I check out the BFO for drift itself.

> I also wonder about the effects of voltage regulation on that oven.

Another good question.  I will check that just for fun.

A good friend of mine who is a good engineer (and experienced very
similar problems with his early production OMNI VI) explains that
an oven oscillator should not move this much at all.  I will go on
and dig into the BFO for my own info, but it looks like I will be
trying to carefully remove that oven for replacement....I am told
it is not so easy to remove!  Wish me luck.

Clark
WA3JPG