[TenTec] OMNI VI crystal oven stability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI crystal oven stability
From: chestert@mail.pressroom.com (Chester Alderman)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 05:54:40 -0400
I think your an amateur trying to do an engineers job! Before you make any
decisions about what is doing what to what, how do you know your counter does
not drift? How do you know the accurace of your freq. counter? You checked it
against WWV? Heck, if your going to do engineering work, take your counter to a
qualified calibration shop and get it certified, not only for freq accuracy,
but for it's own stability. Then and ONLY then can you draw conclusions about
'something' drifting. And before you go way off base and spend your $50 bucks
because you want to play engineer, check the specs on your Omni 6. The Omni 6
is not a frequency standard, it is a AMATEUR radio piece of equipment. If you
want a frequency standard, HP sell's them for only about $125,000.

At 03:34 PM 8/14/97 -0700, you wrote:

>I took some data from my master oscillator.  I waited 3 minutes for

>the oven to settle down before taking measurements.  I set the

>trimmer cap to a reference frequency of 10.00001   and went from

>there.  I used the Startek frequency counter with 10 Hz resolution.

>Began at 20:30 and measured 10.00001

>        20:40              10.00002

>        20:50              10.00003

>        21:20              10.00004

>        21:58              10.00005

>        22:22              10.00006

>There are some points where I observed flutter where the freq counter

>was transitioning, so these times are not really exact, and only give

>10 Hz resolution.  However, there is a definite trend :-).  Would

>you all say that this is not acceptable for the Ten Tec OMNI VI

>master oscillator crystal oven?  Should I go out and fork over the

>$50 for a new one?

>I will check on my BFO next for good measure, it has been suggested

>that problems can reside there also.  I will check the trimmers in

>different modes for alignment, and watch some of them to see if they

>move much.

>Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

>Clark

>WA3JPG

>--

Chester Alderman