[TenTec] TT Service

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT Service
From: seay@alaska.net (Del Seay)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 07:38:13 -0900
Hi Mark. I've not been a TenTec owner all that long, about 5 years, but -
I have had a couple of problems, all of which a quick call to Sevierville
had the parts in my hands in a couple of days.
I'm not one to send radios to the factory, however. I think it is against
the  Amateur Radio purpose. I was disappointed that upgrading to  Plus
couldn't be done at my qth. So that is the only time I have ever sent a
radio back - including the JA rigs I've owned in the past.

While most rate service as the highest reason for owning TenTec, I believe
that results on the bench are my reasons. I have only tested one JA rig
meets
the receiver sepcs of the Omni-6, and it didn't when I got my hands on it.
It's
an old TS-180, Kenwoods first attempt at a high spec radio. It of course
came
out at the same time as the TS-820, etc., and never gained much use. Ater a
week of eliminating JA transistors and replacing with RCA and Motorola
devices,
I got the noise floor down to -140 dBm. And - no phase noise! It is
actually
as quiet as the Omni-6. But, it didn't come that way from Kenwood!

I am going to have to look again at the front end of the Omni after getting
it back from the upgrade. The noise floor is only -138 dBm, which is down
from
original.
And - an interesting thing has happened. Now - when I change antennas' with
my remote switch - the receiver drops way off. To recover, I merely have to
hit a  dit on the paddle and it is back. But God knows what is happening.
But - running
down these things in a Ten Tec is a real pleasure for an old man with
klutzy
hands.

de KL7HF

> This is exactly what I want to hear!  How many other Ten Tec owners have
> "NEVER" had a need for service?
>
> 73, Mark

/search.htm