[TenTec] Dual 250 Hz filters--worth it?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Dual 250 Hz filters--worth it?
From: pklein@seattleu.edu (Peter A. Klein)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:07:42 -0800 (PST)
Here's a question for you "ultimate selectivity" Omni V and VI people.

How much better is having a 250 Hz filter in both the 6.3 and 9 mHz (NAR)
IFs?  Do you often use them in combination, or is it only when the going
gets *really* rough in a contest or pileup?

I currently have a 250 Hz in the 6.3 IF and a 500 Hz filter in the 9 mHz
IF.  I've never owned a 250 Hz filter before, and I'm really happy I got
one for my Omni.  The reduction in *noise* is in some respects nicer
than the reduction in QRM, when compared to cascaded 500 Hz filters.

So, how much of a jump in performance is cascaded 250 Hz filters from a
250 and a 500? I understand that I would have better "skirts" and possibly
a little less noise.  But does it really matter much in *practice*, or is
it beyond the point of diminishing returns for most of us?

73,
Peter - KD7MW
---
* My opinions do not necessarily represent those of Seattle University.
* Newsreaders may have an incorrect return address. Use pklein@seattleu.edu

Peter A. Klein  (pklein@seattleu.edu)  :    -----==3==      ---      ---
Network Administrator, LAN/WAN/Novell  :   |    |  |  |    |   |    |   |
Seattle University, 296-5569           :  @|   @| @| @|   @|  @|   @|  @|