[TenTec] Dual 250 Hz filters--worth it?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Dual 250 Hz filters--worth it?
From: Peter A. Klein" <pklein@seattleu.edu (Peter A. Klein)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:54:11 -0800 (PST)
Thanks, Clark!  I have a Timewave DSP-599zx.  Occasionally, I've found
using it with a 100 or 75 Hz bandwidth can pull a weak CW signal out of
the noise when all else fails.  Interestingly, it's best to do this in
conjunction with a 500 Hz or 250 Hz filter, so the noise doesn't overload
the filter and make matters worse (this is particularly true on 80/40/30m
at night).  On the other hand, on satellite, where the noise is more
"white," I've often found it better to use SSB bandwidth and DSP noise
reduction.

I suspect that since I have the Timewave, dual 250 Hz filters would be
overkill.  Since I have an Omni VI with Option 1, I've only got one "NAR"
position.

But I must say, I used to think that I'd never want a 250 Hz filter--I
thought it would be too narrow and too "ringy."  The Ten-Tec filters have
completely changed my mind about that.  Some other narrow filters I've
heard in other rigs actually seem to resonate noise, but the Ten-Tec
ladder filters don't.   So I'm really glad I got the 250 Hz filter for the
6.3 IF.

73,
Peter - KD7MW
---
* My opinions do not necessarily represent those of Seattle University.
* Newsreaders may have an incorrect return address. Use pklein@seattleu.edu

Peter A. Klein  (pklein@seattleu.edu)  :    -----==3==      ---      ---
Network Administrator, LAN/WAN/Novell  :   |    |  |  |    |   |    |   |
Seattle University, 296-5569           :  @|   @| @| @|   @|  @|   @|  @|