[TenTec] Amateur Radio in a Saturn

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Amateur Radio in a Saturn
From: prvalko@oakland.edu (Paul R. Valko)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 20:35:24 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Dale L. Martin wrote:

> I just bought a Saturn SC2 (124hp engine, 2-door coupe).  I am
> now scoping out how to put amateur radio equipment in the
> car...Is anyone running Ten-Tec gear in a Saturn, SC2 or
> otherwise?

Good Luck.  I owned a 1995 SL2 and it was the most miserable RF
environment of any car I've ever owned.  I even could detect spark noise
in the AM/FM radio.  We (Saturn and I) tried everything to cure it but the
best I could do is knock it down a little after encasing the ignition
wires with wire braid.  This problem was verified on other Saturns,
including (ex) MI-QRP Club Pres. Lowell.

I still thank God it was only a two year lease :-)

Not to knock GM or Saturn... my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix is dead quiet.
Perhaps Saturn fixed the problem by now?

73! =paul= W8KC
Collector of Ten*Tecs and other fine plastics

http://www.acs.oakland.edu/~prvalko