[TenTec] QRO, QRP and Courtesy

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] QRO, QRP and Courtesy
From: ataylor@heracles.llnl.gov (Allan G. Taylor)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:39:59 -0700 (PDT)
While I somewhat agree with your observations, it is mostly the case that
someone running QRP can't immediately QRO. I run at all power levels from 2W
to 1500W, as appropriate. If I don't want to work for the QSO (after I CQ) I
will just ignore the call. Actually, I don't mind in general helping out the
QRP purists and have many friends in the local (NorCal) QRP club. It would seem
that there is a middle-ground in this issue. Another thing to consider, re
courtesy, is that the QRP gang has some calling frequencies that, while
unofficial, are their de facto territory. Calling CQ with a greatly QRO sig
there is blatantly discourteous. The freqs most at issue here are 7040 and
14060.

BTW: if I call you with a wimpy sig, do give me a call. I probably want to
work TN QRP!! And I probably am 2-3 miles from the nearest AC power on some
ridge.

Allan K7GT

Rig complement:  NorCal 40A  1.5 - 2W   superb rx!
                 TT Argo 556  5W
                 TT Scout 555 50W
                 TT OmniVI  0-100W
                 TT Titan amp 1500W (and beyond, potentially)