[TenTec] Hercules II and 444 Amps

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules II and 444 Amps
From: N4NT@bnoc.net (N4NT Mike Hyder)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:05:13 -0400
Hi Bob--

I've used an SB-220 Heathkit amplifier since I built it back in 1977 or
so.  Have also had the Hercules 444 (happiest day of my life was when I
sold it!)  It was a good little amplifier, but from the time I got it
used, it had problems -- self oscillation.  Ultimately it caught fire.
I believe TenTec had to etch new PA boards for it.  Their service policy
is that they will support a piece of equipment for 10 years after it is
no longer in production and they seemed to breathe a sigh of relief when
the 10 years passed on the 444.  The big problem was that the PA
transistors available to them had higher gain than those in the original
design, and tended to be unstable in their design.  After the repair, it
seemed to work just fine, but I still always felt like I was walking on
eggshells when I used it.

My SB-220 antenna relay operates on the delayed drop-out relay in my
TenTec transceivers.  There is enough signal feed-through when
transmitting that I can hear all but the weakest signals breaking me.
The reduced receiver gain caused by the loss in the antenna relay makes
for quieter conditions in the shack and I like that, but others might
not.

Of the TenTec amplifiers, one (I think it is the Centurion -- I am
pretty sure it is the model 422) uses a pair of 3-500Z tubes and
apparently has a very fine QSK system.  They tout the Hercules II as
using the same QSK system, I believe.  I am partial to the 3-500Z tubes
because they are tough and have an estimated life of 20,000 hours.  That
is one LONG time (4 hours a day - 365 days a year for 13.7 years).  And
from TenTec, you can get more for just over $100 each.  For my money,
that 422 would be worth a long look.  I tried to bring up the TenTec
website, but it does not seem to be working right now.  They have three
amplifiers on it, and the one I speak of is the middle one.

Please ask on the reflector for peoples' experiences with that Centurion
(or whatever the 422 is named) amplifier, ease of operation, quietness,
etc.

I heard that there were problems with the Titan.  Yesterday I heard a
fellow on 40 meter CW telling that he was on his 3rd vacuum relay
(antenna switching) in his Titan and complaining of the design.  While
listening to him, it was apparent to me that his antenna relay was
switching 'hot,' with RF still on it.  Perhaps he has it inter-connected
wrong.  Maybe the problems with the Titan (as with most things) are due
to cockpit error?

Ah, well -- good luck to you, Bob.  73. . .de Mike N4NT@bigfoot.com