[TenTec] QRP T-Kits and IC sockets

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] QRP T-Kits and IC sockets
From: jmlowman@ix.netcom.com (Jim Lowman)
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 10:07:27 -0700
At 03:19 PM 7/24/98 -0700, Simmons, Reid W wrote:

>A recent post plus several previous messages on this subject prompted me
>to post this.
>
>I recently built the 1320 QRP CW transceiver and, contrary to the
>sometimes strongly worded advice against it both in the manual and on
>this list, I USED SOCKETS at EVERY IC LOCATION!  The reasoning behind my
>"outlandish display of rebellious behavior and a total disregard for
>established practice" was that I HATE to unsolder defective ICs, it
>makes experimental substitutions a snap, circuit modifications will be
>far easier, and... because there really is sufficient room on the
>circuit board to do this.

OK...anyone know what is the conventional wisdom WRT using/not using IC
sockets?
I recall that many of the Heathkits that I built in the 1970s had sockets
supplied for each IC.

I'm one of these guys who will listen to reason, but I hate to see advice
without
some thorough background.

It's just a straight-though connection, and certainly facilitates repair.
Where's the problem?

Thanks in advance and 73 de Jim - AD6CW