[TenTec] QRP T-Kits and IC sockets

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] QRP T-Kits and IC sockets
From: alex.ai2q@worldnet.att.net (Alex Mendelsohn)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 09:57:26 -0400
Jim:

In some cases, soldering an IC into the circuit substrate or printed
circuit board reduces the inductance of critical I/O paths to/from the
chip. Moreover, soldering an IC down is cheap, and it ensures a measure of
reliability that a separable interconnect cannot provide. However, if you
can tolerate the longer lead lengths in your circuit, in a ham radio
project, having the ability to swap ICs easily in sockets means it's often
easier to substitute parts and check and repair circuits.

I would NOT suggest using simple edge-wipe sockets such as those found at
Radio Snack however. They're often more trouble than useful! Try to find
some screw-machined DIP sockets. They're also known as high-rel types (high
reliability). At the actual interface between the lead frame of the DIP (
its leads), and the socket, these connectors form what's called a gas-tight
seal. There's actually a migration of atoms from metal-to-metal that causes
a connection which is as good as wire---and won't permit corrosive gases to
enter and wreak havoc.

Have fun!  Vy 73, AI2Q, Alex in Kennebunk, Maine  .-.-.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>