[TenTec] Y2K

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Y2K
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 15:21:03 -1000

>Does the new day start at 0000 or 0001. My contention (as I red in my circa
>1959 ARRL handbook which is no more) is that 2400 and 0000 are the _same
>time_ but 2400 refers to the end of the day and 0000 refers to the
>beginning of the new day.
>
>But with their 'military mentality' and as they were trained the new day
>starts at 0001. I guess they do not like to start counting from zero.

The same can be asked as to actually when does the new
century/millennium actually begin??  You must pass,  and clear
the zero!

When counting,  in the root 10 system,  because we have 10 fingers,
you do not realize anything from the second decade until AFTER the
count of 10 is passed!!  Or,  you do not start believing you are
in the second decade after you finishing counting 9,  do you?
You still have one more finger to count before you can go on
to approach the count of 11,  the first full unit of the next decade;
or,  we count the 1 of the next decade as the first unit only
after it is completed,  so the beginning of that "one" must
have been the beginning of the decade.  The zero preceding
the one,  was the completion of the previous decade.

Therefore,  we should not celebrate the beginning of the new
century/millennium,  until the stroke of 0000UTC on the morning
of January 1,  2001;  not 1/1/2000 !!

Think about it.

But of course,  civilizations have celebrated
the beginning of centuries for many past,  at the end of the
ninth year of the final decade of the century,  not at the
end of the tenth year of the centuries final decade,
which is when,  of course,  the next century really begins.

So we will not break with this long established,  if misguided,
tradition continues and the world will celebrate on Jan. 1st, 2000.

73,  Jim,  KH7M