[TenTec] from a Scout to ???

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] from a Scout to ???
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 15:56:15 -0600
Pete,
A few months ago, I bought a Delta II.  It's a nice little radio.
I intend to use it mobile and also as a second radion for CW
contesting.  I use TRLog contest logging software to control both
my Omni VI+ and Delta II.  However, I found a problem with my
Delta II that I am told by TT service is my grounding problem and
not the radio's problem.

The CW RF output keying is crap when the RS-232 line is connected
to the radio.  The computer and the radio sidetone keying sounds
normal and good.  I've monitored the off-the-air signal from the
Delta on my Omni and on my Sony portable with the Delta's power
output run to minimum, to medium, and to maximum.  In all cases,
it sounds chopped up; chopped up so badly, it's undecipherable.
I was in the WAE CW Contest when someone told me on the air my CW
was chopped up and unreadable.  I then took a quick listen with
my Omni and, sure enough, garbage.  I had been CQ'ing nothing but
garbage--no wonder I wasn't getting any answers (I thought it was
because I was just QRP).
 .
Later today, I'm going to do some more tests and make some cable
changes to see if I can find anything that would make this happen
and fix it.  If it works and I can cure the problem without
losing computer control of the radio, I will share it with the
reflector users.  What the heck.  If it doesn't work, I'll share
it anyway.

The worst part about the situation is that I expected to be able
to fix the problem with a transistor driver/relay to key the
radio from the computer, but that didn't change anything.  So, I
was single radio during SS CW this past weekend!!!!  Not what I
wanted to do.

73,
dale, kg5u

>Carl Hyde wrote:
>
>>Delta II is highly recomended,
>>Especially if you anticipate using a computer with it, its the
only TT rig
>>you'll find under $1K that will allow computer control.
>>

>Which brings up a point I haven't seen addressed on the list:
What software

http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm
http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm