[TenTec] Re: Digital Display for Argosy I?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Digital Display for Argosy I?
From: FaithD@mail01.dnr.state.wi.us (FaithD@mail01.dnr.state.wi.us)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 05:42:27 -0600
There are a few options out there.  I found that adding an external display
wasn't too difficult and if it hadn't worked out, I could do something else
w/out having damaged the rig.  I typically mount the counters in a little
RS box and have them

I would recommend freq. counter kits from Blue Sky Engineering; K1MG
(http://www.fix.net/~jparker/blusky/ccd.htm ; $34)  or Almost All Digital
Electronics  (http://www.aade.com/  $51.50 ).

It will be necessary to bring out a VFO signal outside of the rig.  With the
Argosy I, I pulled off the mixer product of the VFO and the band selection
crystal.  I just sold the rig (w/ the separate counter) so I can't provide
you with a detailed location.  I used one of the spare phono jacks for the
VFO+ signal.

I did the same thing w/ my Century 22 but there, it wasn't possible to get
the mixer product so I used a rotary encoder w/ the K1MG unit to select
which 'offset' or mixer freq. to use.  I have used both the K1MG and AADE
units, but have had slightly better luck w/ the AADE units.

The AADE unit displays both Mhz and Khz at the same time.  The K1MG unit
uses a backup power supply; it has a clock function but only displays the
Mhz portion of the reading or the Khz portion.  The AADE unit doesn't
require a rotary encoder if you want to program the offsets and just pull
off of the VFO.

I hope this is of some assistance.

73 de N9WR, Don C. Faith III