[TenTec] Re: Digital Display for Argosy I?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Digital Display for Argosy I?
From: Michael O. Hyder" <N4NT@wireco.net (Michael O. Hyder)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:52:05 -0500
Hi John (or Jon)--

First, I have not picked up on any sounds of desperation about finding a
digital display for the Argosy I, just some interest in doing so or in
finding out what was available.

The thing I miss about not having a digital display is when calling friends
who monitor a particular frequency or trying to monitor one myself.  During
much of the day my rig sits on 7020 kHz.  If you call me on 7021, I may well
not hear you even with the rig wide open.  Call on 7019 and I will hear you.
I have the Argosy I and II, a 544 Triton, an Omni-C and a Corsair II.  There
is something magic about the Argosy I, it seems far better on receive than
my Argosy II (because the AGC sampling point is beyond the audio CW filter
so signals out of the audio passband do not pump up the AGC on my Argosy I,
but do on my Argosy II).  I don't want to get rid of any rig, it is sort of
like asking which of my children I would part with.  But I would like to be
able to set the Argosy I right smack-dab on a frequency to call a friend or
listen for one.

Lately I unpacked my HW-16 Heathkit transceiver and HG-10 VFO.  "Ah, simpler
times - simpler rigs," I thought.  Even with a crystal calibrator, I had
trouble getting close enough to a monitored frequency to raise my friend.
It is easy to get on his frequency if I can hear him, but difficult if I am
initiating the contact.  My playing with the HW-16 was over in a few days.
I realized that I was not operating much because I really didn't enjoy using
it, even though it has fine QSK and plenty of power to make contacts.  I
didn't use it much because I couldn't monitor the frequency where some of my
buddies are likely to show up and therefore missed their activity.  And I
didn't use it much because I couldn't get close enough in frequency to raise
them if they were monitoring.

That's why (for me).

73 de Mike N4NT@wireco.net