[TenTec] PIN Diode Mods for Paragon I

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] PIN Diode Mods for Paragon I
From: Rosenberg.Eric@orbcomm.com (Rosenberg.Eric@orbcomm.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:05:26 -0500
This is the mod as I received it from WN5A.  I've done the mods and it
appears better, but as you can imagine, the results are subjective.

Eric W3DQ
----------------

Author:  "Jack Van Demark" <jackv@wt.net>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Date:    26-01-98  2:52 PM
Subject: Re:  Mods to Paragon
------------------------------- Message Contents
-------------------------------
Eric:

Here is the information you requested regarding Diode modification to the
Paragon.

If you have read Rhode's articles in QST you have a pretty good idea what
the benefits
are from changing out the switching diodes and replaceing them with PIN
diodes in the
receiver section between the antenna and the first mixer.

The diode I chose was a Motorolla MPN-3700 two wire diode.

The diodes that should be replaced are D1-D16 on the RX High Pass Filter
Board (81330).

I also changed out diodes D1,D2, D7 & D12 on the first Mixer boards.

I found the receiver was quieter and on Contest weekends with all the big
guns on I had much
less problem with Intermod. The trick is finding the diodes they are really
 hard to get in small
quantities. Most of the  suppliers want to sell several thousand.

Good luck and 73
Jack.