[TenTec] QRPp SSB from a Corsair II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] QRPp SSB from a Corsair II
From: geraldj@ames.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E.)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:08:10 -0600
One of my two relays will be to connect the receiver antenna switch
internally for HF single coax work. As I plan it, the second relay will
separate the drive after the LL driver. Takes a lot smaller relay to
handle a couple watts than to handle 100 watts. And I want to protect
the transverter from 100 watt accidents. And I want switching to be from
the transverter select control, not by digging behind the Corsair II.
Also for protection of the transverter, I'd much prefer the drive
control on the Corsair II to remain at the HF position... Controls
requiring operator finesse to protect the transverter get forgotten in
the heat of discovering a VHF opening, or aren't known by visiting
operators and the transverter can suffer. I don't want to keep building
transverters for the same functions. Actually I may want to switch in
separate alc and drive pots for transverter service.

Its already been reported that increasing the value of the ALC pot
allows lower power levels.

I'll consider the zener diode mod. Notice that a TL431C programmable
zener has a far more distinct regulation level than the typical 1N748
and works down to less than a milliamp with essentially no slope to the
voltage v current curve. With no resistors it makes a super 2.5 volt
zener.

73, Jerry, K0CQ