[TenTec] question, please help

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] question, please help
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:38:54 -0000 (GMT)
Hi Scott; you have it right.

When I got my Omni-V (new, in the US) there was a three page
SUPPLEMENTARY DATA handout in the back of the manual. Page 2 describes
the "split" function in a little more detail. I suggest you ask your
XYL to read this over for you - if you got it with your manual. (I
think someone else asked about this supplement; its here if you cannot
locate a copy nearer to home).

You can certainly use "split" as RIT; I did it this morning because
the guy I was talking to kept moving up the band... I pressed A=B and
then turned on "split". So I was transmitting on B and following the
guy around with A. (Using the REV button enables you to check if the
guy is back on your transmit freq or not - if he is, you can turn off
"split").

TenTec say always use A for receive and B for transmit. This is good
advice, but in fact you can do the opposite .. it still works, but
it may cause confusion if you forget which way round you were working.

The lack of a separate RIT knob has never caused me a problem. If
there was an extra control, I think I could get very confused.  Two
VFOs are enough.

One minor glitch; if you are using logbook software which reads data
from the OMNI-V serial port, beware. The interface is a little basic,
with (I was told) no handshaking. If the software tries to read the
frequency whilst REV is pressed, anything can happen. I have my
logbook package set to read frequency ONLY when I actually enter a
call into the log. If anyone has a logbook package which works better
I'd like to know.

73 John G3JAG

E-Mail: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk