[TenTec] Power switch on Delta; Homebrew power supplies

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Power switch on Delta; Homebrew power supplies
From: pinskeep@iglou.com (Peter Inskeep)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:13:03 -0500
Al,

Wanting to use the on/off switch for some mod I was concocting, I many
years ago jumpered the ac on my Delta 580 - IN THE POWER SUPPLY - and
thereafter used the power supply on off switch to turn the delta on and
off.  Never had a problem with that.  Suppose that there may be the concern
that the initial shot of juice going into the Delta 580 from turning the
power supply on could be "too much," but can't see how it would be any
different if the switch were thrown from the Delta or the power supply.
Anyway, I did it 15 years ago and the radio runs to this day.  So does the
mod that I used the on off switch for (fast vs. slow qsk).
Another benefit of doing this was that I clipped the wires so that the AC
never got into the Delta, making my bumbling tinkering that little bit
safer for me.
  Good luck.
Pete, NO2D
Pewee Valley, KY

At 19:22 1999/01/25 EST, Al Gulseth wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>1. My dad's Delta (580) has developed a problem with the power switch,
>and he said that a fellow he QSOs with quite frequently has encountered
>the same thing. Dad contacted TT and was told the part is no longer
>available. He is aware of the options of converting over to a rotary type
>instead of the push-pull arrangement or putting in a jumper and using the
>switch on the power supply itself. Does anyone have a lead on a direct
>replacement for the audio pot/power switch that doesn't cost an arm and a
>leg, or has anyone else ever encountered this problem (which probably
>could also happen on older Omnis, Argosy, etc. as they all appear to use
>the same setup) and if so, what was the solution?

Amateur Radio Station NO2D
Pewee Valley, KY
http://members.iglou.com/pinskeep
Ask about my free Linux Morse401.tgz CW program