[TenTec] The Last Radios

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] The Last Radios
From: AL_LORONA@HP-USA-om33.om.hp.com (AL_LORONA@HP-USA-om33.om.hp.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:41:57 -0400

     Hi, Everybody,

     Reading about the various fixes that Ten Tec owners apply to their
     radios always gets me thinking: The current Ten Tec rigs in
     production-- which would include the Scout, Omni VI+, and kits-- may
     be the last radios which are user-serviceable. That is, we are moving
     into an era where transceivers, either because of surface mount
     construction or because of the increasing role of software, or due to
     other reasons, may no longer lend themselves to the kind of
     troubleshooting, repair, modification, experimentation, and alignment
     that so many of us value and enjoy.

     Evidence: The top-of-the-line Kenwood transceiver belonging to a
     friend of mine developed VCO problems within a month of his buying it.
     To extract and repair the board, which was loaded with nothing but
     tiny, unmarked surface mount devices, took him weeks to do. (Kenwood
     would not replace it under warranty, but that's another story.) It's a
     good thing that my friend is an electronics engineer with 20 years of
     experience building satellites at Jet Propulsion Laboratory and felt
     confident enough to tackle the job, isn't it?

     Evidence: I just read a newsgroup message from a ham whose Icom IC-730
     went on the fritz. He was soliciting help from other hams. The
     shocking answer was that the internal battery went dead, which sounds
     like it would be an easy fix, except that the rig's firmware was
     stored in *volatile* RAM which was lost forever with the battery
     failure! I guess Icom figured no one would still be using their
     IC-730s in the late 1990's; the "throw-away" rig concept. This poor
     guy is hosed if he can't find a way to re-load the program into his
     few-year-old transceiver.

     Evidence: How many mods for the Kachina/Pegasus do you think we are
     likely to see in the next few years? How much experimentation with
     filtering, keying, front end, audio, aftermarket components, etc., so
     much of which you see on this reflector? Will all of the modification
     involve software only? (Way cool, how did you get the S-meter on the
     lower left of your front panel? Oh, I just wrote, compiled, and linked
     a new GUI...)

     Hang on to those Omnis, everybody, we may be witnessing the final
     phase of a fix-it-with-a-paper-clip-and-chewing-gum approach to
     amateur radio which has proved so rewarding for so many of us.

     What say you?

     Al W6LX