[TenTec] The Last Radios

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] The Last Radios
From: Bill_Ames@hyperion.com (Bill_Ames@hyperion.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:35:14 -0400

My comments.

(1) The Japanese have as part of their culture the approach that you need to
regularly upgrade to the newer item. In fact, not too long ago it was proper to
leave your working but few year old equipment (all kinds, the Japanese have lots
of electronic items in their house) on the curb where less wealthy Japanese
could upgrade (and leave their even older stuff at the curb.) We can not
complain about the Japanese manufactures doing business by their customs. We can
always choose not to buy.

(2) What happens when all the ham equipment is too complicated to change,
enhance, fix, modify etc.? Well, we will just have to operate and learn to talk
to other hams.

(3) Even TT does not carry spare parts forever.

The bottom line, we are what we buy. Stop buying these state of the art rigs and
order a rig from TT (even if it is not yet in their product line) that does what
you want and is easy to repair (and, here is the hard one, doesn't cost more
then a grand, has all the HF bands w/o a plugin and doesn't use those PTOs!)
IMHO

Bill Ames
KB1LG