[TenTec] rs 232

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] rs 232
From: SteveBaron@starlinx.com (Steve Baron - KB3MM)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 01:12:01 +0100
My understanding was that all OMNI V's did/may not have the actual board for
the RS232 port - but could be wrong on that.

WriteLog does control as well as read the V.  It definitely sets and reads
the frequency - have done that many times.  It also controls the mode - as
many people learned in the RTTY contest, lower frequencies are assumed to be
CW, so rigs that were in RTTY mode were being reset to CW by the software
whenever the operator automatically went to a spot.

The behavior on setting a frequency is a bit odd.  If you were set to a nice
round frequency like 21.010 and wanted to go to 21.020, is does it in a
fraction of a second.  But if you want to go to 21.0115, it can take many
(10 ?) seconds.  That's only a 1.5 KHz change!  Think the same thing happens
if you were on 21.0115 and jumped 10 KHz but do not remember.

Sounds like you have 'played' with the V interface and if so, you know how '
atrocious' it is - having to know which band you are on, and whether it is
an upper or lower, and what divisor is being used etc. is as primitive as
you can get    THE 320 is basically the same flavor; wonder about the
Pegasus.  It is no wonder that not much software talks to a V.

Just think what the world would be like if you could send a simple string to
any radio as a string of standard 8 bit characters e.g. 21011.45 to set the
frequency and get a similar string back when reading.  It would actually
make sense and be understanable to people instead of the typical stuff we
have now.

BTW, my only interest in WriteLog was for reading the frequency during a
contest - always manage to mis-log the band for a few QSO's and the penalty
is humungous (lose 4 times the value);  CT simply will never support the V.
Time will tell if WriteLog can cut it.