[TenTec] Which filters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Which filters
From: jdvoracek@vvm.com (John Dvoracek)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 12:38:09 -0500
Hi Jim!

The question has been answered many times, however, the question doesn't
have just one answer.  As more ops experiment with filters, more
opinions develop, and searching older reflector issues will give you
many prior opinions.

The most common question is INRAD's,
http://www.qth.com/INRAD/tentec_menu.htm, versus TT's.  The second most
common recent question is which INRAD's for SSB.  You need to read as
many prior posts as you can, then form your own opinion.  Finally,
remember used TT's often appear on the reflector for $60 - about 1/2 the
price of a new INRAD.  Used INRAD's almost never appear, and that
probably says something too.

My mix is 90/10 cw/ssb, and I have three INRAD's in my vi+:  both 400 hz
and the first IF 2.1 khz.  My rationale was, the 250 hz TT is too narrow
and the 500 hz TT is too wide while the 400 hz INRAD falls perfectly in
the middle, especially with the slightly narrow skirts, and, in my
opinion, flatter sound.  The cost was break even - 4 used TT's vs 2 new
INRAD's.  The final touch - completely cost unjustifiable on it's own,
was the addition of the 2.1 khz first IF INRAD to narrow the barn door
slightly while I am scanning the band on cw.

Since I op little ssb, I haven't done much for a filter set-up other
than the 2.1 as above, and I can't offer the experience a more serious
ssb op could.  I usually have the 2.1 in-line when I op ssb.  Previously
I tried the 1.8 TT, but it was just too narrow for my ears.  If I had to
strain that hard to hear a qso, it wasn't worth it.  In retrospect, I
really could do without any ssb filter for my infrequent operating, and
the stock TT's aren't bad at all for ssb, so I justify the 2.1 INRAD
primarily as above to narrow the cw barn door a bit.

Good luck - I think you'll win no matter how you go.

73, de ke5c, op john