[TenTec] Which filters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Which filters
From: n1eu@yahoo.com (N1EU)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 12:25:44 -0700 (PDT)
Well, I tried to but couldn't resist jumping in.  One
of the greatest pleasures of owning an Omni 6 is all
the fun playing with filters  ;-)

I echo Jim's recommendation on both INRAD 2.8 khz
filters.  The difference is astounding (IMHO) in how
nice the received SSB signals sound.

If you aren't contesting, I'd hold off on the INRAD
2.4 10 polers - I do use both, but it's nowhere near
the bang for the bucks that the 2.8's represent, and
the stock TT 2.4's should do the job.

My current line up is the INRAD 2.8's and 2.4's both
ifs, TT 500hz to complete the 9Mhz slots, and the TT
500 and 250 to fill the 6.3 slots.  My radio came with
the full complement of TT cw filters, so I've never
tried the INRAD cw filters.  If I wasn't very happy
with the TT cw filters, I would have already tried
them.  I like being able to narrow down to 250 in
heavy QRM.  It's also nice to have the wideness of the
TT 500 to scan the bands (and for "running" in
contests).  I assume the TT 500 is effectively quite a
bit wider than the INRAD 400 filters due to shallower
skirts in the TT filters.

BTW, for cw contests, I swap filters to make room for
a TT 250 in the 9Mhz if and likewise in ssb contests,
I make room for a TT 1.8 in the 6.3Mhz if.  The one
thing I haven't tried is cascading the INRAD 2.4
filter with the TT 2.4 filter in the first if.  If
anyone has tried this (Jim?), please drop me an email!

Whatever you decide, you can't go wrong!

Good luck & 73,
Barry  N1EU