[TenTec] Centaur AMP

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Centaur AMP
From: K5XS@compuserve.com (Bernie Skoch)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 20:02:26 -0400
Well, I'll chime in on the amp discussion.

I use an Omni VI+ that I've had about two years.  I went looking for amps
and bought the AL-811H (the Centaur wasn't on th market) after weighing the
high-end Ten-Tec amps and deciding I couldn't afford one.

The 811H is great, but I sure miss QSK.  If the Centauir had been
available, I would have bought it (blower noise doesn't matter to me).  I
work about 75% CW, and that clanking relay drives me nuts.

I would add that if you're using marginal antennas, I 'd advise buying a
beam and a tower first.  But once you've done that, an amp does make a
difference in working the marginal ones.  It really does--s-unit
logarithmic math aside.

73,
Bernie K5XS