[TenTec] Omni Vi freq drift and poor keyer?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni Vi freq drift and poor keyer?
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 16:28:33 -0400 (EDT)

I'm the idiot. I've had 2 Omni 6's and the drift is easily proven. It
occurs during cw QSO's and is due mostly to the components in the bfo. It
can be reduced by proper venilation which the manufacture failed to
provide. The keying problem has been discused here many times and can be
easily heard. Even my wife, who doesn't know code can pick out the sound
of an Omni 6 eminating from my speaker while she's across the house in the
kitchen. Yes, the QST review failed to point this out. Why? Because they
look at the amplitude changes instead of frequency changes on the keying
waveform and they don't listen to themselve's on the air. At this point, I
don't know of any test equipment around that would show up a tiny
frequency shift like this.

Paul Christensen spent many many hours searching for a cure and finally
made major modifications to his 6+ which resulted in acceptable keying yet
the 30 year old Triton IV still sounds better.

Now most owners are in denial and I must admit, some people have trouble
hearing the difference between clean cw and the Omni 6 but there's plenty
of us idiots who can. Tune across the low end of 80 or 40 meters tonight
and look for one. Leave your filters open wide and your audio filters
turned off. Narrow filtering tends to mask the chirp. Listen to W1AW on
20m some afternoon when they are 20 over 9 and compare it to their 40m
signal while switching between bands rapidly. Keep those filters opened
up to at least 1.8khz.

BTW: From the information I have, the new Pegasus sounds great on cw. I
would love to set up a sked with someone so I can hear it. What say?

Your Friendly Idiot