[TenTec] Pegasus Programmin Specification, Downloadable

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus Programmin Specification, Downloadable
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (rohre)
Date: 6 Oct 1999 15:39:35 -0500
For those impatient for Pegasus software downloads:

(Viewer warning:  May contain comments offensive to software writers, but
really, I know you have a thankless task! :-)  )

Obviously, you have not been part of a project that involves complicated RF
hardware AND a software interface, when software is not your company's main
product!  Real time programming is not easy to schedule for completion!

Between Engineers tweaking the hardware "one more time", and programmers
debugging, [because ANY change introduces a new set of bugs], it is a wonder
any hardware/software product ever sees the light of day working as well as
they do.

:-)  I think it all got out of hand when they quit using programming flow
charts!

I would say Ten Tec is about on the usual electronics instrumentation curve
for this kind of project!

Having held the hand of a major international instrumentation company while
their "ultimate" product came to life (based on users input); I can say been
there, done that.  They almost got our wish list complete.  But, obviously the
folks writing the initial software did not have a clue how you operate one of
these things in the real world!  "User friendly" was foreign to Programming
Manuals in 1962, and has not gotten much better when it comes to a heavily
interactive device that is software interfaced.  Hopefully, when the wait is
over, there will not be any hangups in the Ten Tec product like Windows 95
could create!  :-)

Have faith,
Stuart K5KVH