[TenTec] Pegasus Programmin Specification, Downloadable

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus Programmin Specification, Downloadable
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 06:25:25 -0500
  Software is a main product of Ten Tec, has
>been for some time.

Larry, et al,
It's been a product of their hardware for some time.  I'm not
sure it might be viewed (even by them?) as a "main" product.

Larry Tyree, N6TR, writer of TRLog contest logging software has
for a long, long time wished Ten-Tec would change their code.

Witness this recent (last night) posting of his reply to a TRLog
subscriber:

> I am really enjoying the enhanced control that TRLog gives me
with my
> newly-acquired TS-850 compared to my Omni VI. One thing that I
have
> noticed, though, is that when I am in the S&P mode and use the
shift keys
> to change frequency, the rig makes annoying "beeps", which make
it
> difficult to hear the signals you are trying to tune in. Is
there some way
> to turn this off on the 850, or is it a TRLog "feature"?

You need to disable the beeps in the 850.  I forget if it is a
volume control inside the radio that you need to turn down - or
if it can be disabled with one of the menus.

At least that is better than having to put a piece of black tape
on
the front panel of the Yaesu radios!

About the Omni VI - I still wish TenTec would adopt the Kenwood
format
as an option.  It isn't that hard to implement two command sets
and
let the user decide.  This would open to door up to making the
Omni
VI play with TR Log as well as the 850.

Tree
unquote

Apparently, there are things in software that can and cannot be
done with the firmware the Omni VI contains.  It is a bit
disconcerting to see and hear about the 'other guys' ability to
do things and the Omni VI can't (Shift keys have no effect on my
Omni VI).  I guess we're back to the "better receiver"
comparison.

73,
dale, kg5u