[TenTec] Ten Tec 544 Supplement

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec 544 Supplement
From: prvalko@oakland.edu (Paul R. Valko)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 06:20:22 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, JEFF S JOHNSON wrote:

> Another thing I wonder about is on my Triton IV 544's front panel it has
> the T*T symbol and then it just say's "Model 544" but in all the ads and
> other photos I see it has "Triton IV" with no number.  Their both the
> same rig, any one else have this or know why?

It's explained on the Virtual Ten*Tec Museum website.
<http://www.acs.oakland.edu/~prvalko/tentec.htm>

The 544 is the "renamed" Triton IV Digital.  I'm glad Ten*Tec, and the
real T*T fans still use the "names" of the radios instead of model
numbers.  Even *I* don't try to kep the model numbers straight.

Sometimes I see a madel 5xx for sale and have no idea what it is! :-)

> I bet a lot of you never knew there is a pilot light in the marker notch
> right above the PTO dial skirt. This is on the Triton IV and probably on
> all the rigs with that same black tuning display unit analog or digital.
> I guess it was meant for lighting the dial on an analog readout but it's
> also in the digital display type.

That's because some Triton IV digitals had a dial skirt with the KHz
marked on it.  If you lost the display, you still had a good idea where
abouts the rig was tuned to.

73! =paul= W8KC
Collector of Ten*Tecs and other fine plastics.
  Visit the Virtual Ten*Tec Museum at:
  <http://www.acs.oakland.edu/~prvalko>