[TenTec] Ten Tec 544 Supplement

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec 544 Supplement
From: N4NT@wireco.net (Michael O. Hyder)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 06:43:38 -0500
Hi all--

Well, in the early 1970's Motorola introduced a VHF-FM marine radio named
the Triton.  They filed for trademark protection on it and then threatened
Ten-Tec over the use of the name.  Ten-Tec just started calling the Tritons
the 540 and 544 models.

About the lamp in the pointer above the tuning knob on the Tritons:  if you
are using a 6 volt bulb, it's no wonder the thing doesn't last very long.  I
got some replacements from Ten-Tec several years ago -- I'm sure they are 12
or 14 volt bulbs.  Then I placed a 100 ohm resistor in series with the
little bulb.  It will probably last forever.

On all my Ten-Tecs I have put a 33 ohm resistor in series with each meter
lamp.  That doesn't make a discernable difference in the illumination but
greatly increases the lamp life.

Regards,
Mike N4NT@wireco.net
Johnson City, Tennessee