[TenTec] Elmer project

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Elmer project
From: winjones@ix.netcom.com (winjones@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 21:33:39 -0500 (EST)
On 11/12/99 12:22:10 you wrote:

>I need help with an Elmer project. Our club has a great number of new hams.
>
>I would like to get the newbies (some of whom are no-code techs) motivated
>to upgrade.  My approach would be to assemble a $100.00 \ 100watt  HF
>station to get them excited that HF ham radio does not have to be expensive
>.  In order to keep the cost this low, will we have to beg, borrow, and
>steal?
>
>Suggestions and contributions are welcomed.
>
>Thanks
>
>Richard Hayman, K3DML
>

>--

I see Heathkit HW-101s sometimes for $150 or less. I also bought a non-
working Triton IV a couple of years ago for $100. The problem turned out to
be a crystal filter that had worked loose--an easy fix! These are both good
buys.

I think if you ask around enough, some big-hearted ham with some extra rigs
will make you a good price, considering your project.

I think a old, good condition SSB rig would be best to interest no-code
techs in HF operating. While a QRP kit is a good introduction to
homebrewing, I don't think that's what you want at this stage. I think techs
would be more intrigued by HF phone. The QRP and cw interest can come later,
after they've upgraded and want to explore other modes and facets of the
hobby.

Good luck in finding your rig.

73, Winston K4CWQ