[TenTec] RF Gain and SWR

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RF Gain and SWR
From: k4beh@juno.com (k4beh@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:02:39 -0500
Steve, Richard, Bernie, et al,

I think he is really talking about the RF gain control (RCVR).  I have
the same situation with my Paragon 1 when I operate on 40 meters using my
ladderline-fed 175' dipole.  There is obviously some RF floating around
the shack on that band because the MFJ keyboard keyer is very flaky on
that band only when I use the keyboard (it is okay when playing back from
memory).  I usually keep the RF gain down about the 9:00 or 10:00
position and the SWR reads fine, but if the gain is turned up the SWR
shows a high reading.  I don't have a good ground on the station and am
building my new house I call "Radio Nirvana" which will have a VERY
substantial grounding system high on a ridge in the North Georgia
mountains, so I have just ignored the condition and worked around the
quirks.

He may want to try to improve his ground or change the length of his
feedline to see if that changes his symptoms or try it into a dummy load.
 Also, make sure the station components (transceiver, power supply,
antenna tuner, monitor scope, keyer, whatever) are all tied together with
HEAVY braid or wire.  RF grounds and AC/DC grounds are definitely
different animals.  I recommend reading the Polyphaser Corporation's
publication "The Grounds For Lightning/EMP Protection."  It sheds lots of
light on grounding for safety and RF effectiveness.  It will cost you
about $25 or so.  They may also have a website that will offer help.

Good luck to all and best wishes for the new year!

73,

Pat Haynes-K4BEH
On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 22:38:03 -0500 "Steve Ellington N4LQ"
<n4lq@iglou.com> writes:

>Are you guys really talking about the RECEIVER'S RF GAIN control????
>Or maybe you mean the RF output or drive control.
>Steve N4LQ

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.