[TenTec] Re: Ten Tec antenna tuners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Ten Tec antenna tuners
From: patrickth@mindspring.com (Patrick A. Thompson Sr.)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 00:27:27 -0500

I suspect the line loss when using two pieces of coax to simulate a balenced
line is closer to the loss from using shielded twinlead as opposed to
unshielded twinlead or ladderline.  In this case the coax cable is not being
operated coaxially so published loss figures for coax are ,in my opinion,
not applicable. I've never seen anything published about line loss with coax
used this way.  Shielded 300 ohm twinlead for TV receiver use was available
many years ago and was very low loss as compared to coax.

I personally use only a very short length of parrelel RG-8x as a jumper from
the tuner to the window feedthru plug. Beyond the window feedthru is 14ga
ladderline with a slow twist. The length is less than two feet and the
flexibility of RG-8x over the ladder line I use outside is an advantage. At
this short length loss and impedance don't really matter.

Pat, WA4TUK