[TenTec] Ten Tec Performance - and more

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec Performance - and more
From: geraldj@ames.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson)
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 16:07:07 -0500
The Yeawoodcom fall apart within that 20 KHz filter because everything
that passes through it gets to the second mixer that's not as tough (and
with more gain) as the first mixer. Look at the DUBUS review of the 850
for example (I have it scanned for ready forwarding). The Corsair has a
very robust RF stage (just broad banded to cover the hamband in use, not
dc to light) a sturdy first mixer, a similarly robust first IF stage and
then the 9 MHz SSB filter. Passes only about 2.5 KHz. Strong signals
don't crunch it and I don't even notice them UNLESS they actually have
spectral components that get within that SSB filter.

I don't think the TS-850 or FT1000MP do better at wider spacings, I
think the do poorer for handling strong signals unless their preamp is
turned off. And I can do that for the Corsair II too.

Further, while the skirts on the Tentec filters aren't as steep the
filters also don't ring as much on line noise and strong lightning
static so the receiver is more usable in the real world.

73, Jerry, K0CQ