[TenTec] Omni V Power Connector

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V Power Connector
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 15:20:48 -0500
> On the Omni V DC power connector there are 4 pins:. +12 and GND go on the
> outside two. On the power cable that came with my rig, the center two were
> jumpered together. Everything works fine when I connect the power cable to
> my Astron 12V supply, but I wonder what the center two pins are for? I
> suspect that they turn a Ten-Tec power supply on and off in respone to the
> Omni V's power switch, but the schematic just shows them
> jumpered.  Could I
> use these to control On/Off on my Astron supply?

I am using the Ten-Tec Model 961 Power Supplies with my Model 563, Omni
VI's.

The power supply schematic shows the upper of the two inner leads connecting
to the MDL6 line fuse and to the hot side of the AC power plug.  The lower
of the two inner leads connects to a 0.01 bypass capacitor (c6) and power
on/off switch.

The internal jumpering together of the two pins in the Omni VI radio does
nothing but loop through the one side of the AC power plug to the power
supply power on/off switch.

Bear in mind that the loop through is simply that and in doesn't control the
on/off status of the power supply from the radio on/off switch.  The only
way it would control the power supply would be if the power supply-radio
power cable plug were disconnected from the back of the radio.  That would
break the loop and the power supply would be shut down.

The P.S. manual says the 961 is for the 560/561 and 585 transceivers--no
mention of 563.  Those other radios may well have the two inner leads
running to the radio's on/off switch to control the power supply on/off
state.

If your Omni V schematic shows the two pins jumpered internally, then
there's not much you can do short of rewiring your Omni V (which I don't
think you really want to do).

73,
dale, kg5u