[TenTec] Omni VI vs. TS-850

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI vs. TS-850
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 13:52:02 -0500
> I have heard of fellows selling the Omni VI, but in five years I've met
only one
> who did not regret the sale, and he disliked the radio because of the way
SSB
> receive sounded with a speaker (hmmmm).

Oftentimes, the wider Omni ladder filters have slightly asymmetrical filter
skirts which cause the received audio passband to sound different between
USB and LSB.  The INRAD filters solve are better in this regard, but I
believe the Ten-Tec filters have slightly better dynamic characteristics.  A
high quality external speaker in conjunction with the INRAD filters will
make the Omni sound quite good.

-Paul, W9AC