[TenTec] Omni VI vs. TS-850

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI vs. TS-850
From: ditzian@alltel.net (Jan Ditzian)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:38:07 -0500
Floyd,

When I got my Omni VI, I did a head-to-head comparison with a TS-850 owned by
another ham.  The results don't fit what you have, but they fit your
conclusion.  With a speaker, whether external or the Omni VI's, the Omni sounds
tinny on SSB.  I would say that to this day.  Round 1 to TS-850, hands-down.
With earphones, the Omni sounds just as good as the TS-850.  I tend to blame the

audio amp, not the filter characteristics, but I really don't know.  Perhaps I
should get an amplified speaker and plug it into the earphone jack, but I
haven't done this.  With regard to "easy listening," therefore, I would have to
say you should choose the TS-850.

However, with regard to low noise on 80/160, resistance to nearby strong
stations, capability on cw, simplicity of connection to other equipment, ease of
regular operation, readout visibility, ability to work with logging and digital
programs, and flexibility of filter selection, I would say that you would call
them equal or surely give the nod to the Omni VI.  It is a DXer's radio.

Anyway, the Omni VI that I now own put KC5WJ (now N5WJ) on the DXCC Honor Roll
(at least, he owned it, and now he is on the Honor Roll).  Then it went to W5MQ,
and W5MQ is now on the DXCC Honor Roll.  Then W5MQ sold it to me (KX2A) and it
put me on the DXCC Honor Roll .  It also has worked 5BDXCC and DXCC RTTY.  I
have no regrets about purchasing the Omni VI.  I will gladly sell it for a
million bux, no less.  Bidders please form a line outside my door, cash in hand,
no checks or money orders, don't bother with e-bay.  Maybe it is not the model
or brand, but the configuration of stars at the moment of manufacture.

My advice to you, Floyd, about the Omni VI if you are a DXer:  Try it, you'll
like it.

I have heard of fellows selling the Omni VI, but in five years I've met only one
who did not regret the sale, and he disliked the radio because of the way SSB
receive sounded with a speaker (hmmmm).

One more thing, though, if you buy one, write down the address and telephone
number of Ten-Tec.  You are quite likely to have to contact them or send it back
upon occasion.  The Omni VI is a racing car, not a family sedan.  It has a
personality, and it can become tired or sick.  Love and prayer help.

73,
Jan, KX2A